Thread: HIgher math
View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th September 2012
攻殻機動隊

Agree with ocicat. Higher Math could mean a lot of things and ocicat has mentioned a few. Let me add a couple of points. Broadly speaking, math development takes place in two areas - Pure Math and Applied Math. Most of my personal experiences have been with applied math. All through my studies and research career, I have worked on diverse areas, such as, Recurrent neural nets, Global optimization problems, pattern recognition, artificial intelligence, multivariate statistical analysis, combinatorial game theory and stochastic methods. I have also had the pleasure of having worked in the core mathematical areas of non-linear equations, chaos and deterministic differential equations. At one point, I was totally obsessed with a problem in infinite partial differential equations. Thankfully, it is beyond me.

If you are in engineering, then, numerical analysis and optimization problems are extremely important. In Physics and in particular, theoretical physics, the importance of math, be it elementary or complex is a no brainer.

Coming to your question, are you telling us that you are like a clairvoyant and can know something before understanding about it. Some people can grasp complex concepts much better than others. Apart from that, I don't know how to answer your question. But I can tell you this, you probably know Ramanujan, whose contributions in number theory has been tremendous. Too bad he died very young. He is very famous for writing clumsy proofs of his theorems and making a lot of mistakes. Thankfully, the English mathematician, Hardy helped him a lot. But, the validity of his theorems could never be questioned. Once asked, how he is able to construct such theorems, Ramanujan replied that it was his Goddess who provided him the ideas.

I had to slow down a bit on my math work a bit right now, since my obsession pushed me to the brink of madness. Started seeing mathematical objects suddenly everywhere and started talking in math. This led to a strong psychotic episode that eventually led to being diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic. But, once I feel better, I will immediately go back.