View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th January 2009
Rc.conf Instructor

In order to do any kind a comparison you have to run identical hardware, identical applications, and to have things identically configured.
My ThinkPad 390E (PII) with CPU 333MHz and 256Mb of PC100 RAM is very responsive Desktop system probably due to the fact that I run only X server with CWM and use mostly command line applications. The OS is OpenBSD 4.4. i386. I would guess that NetBSD should be little bit faster since it uses XFree86 and uses less cryptography and randomization. I would also assume that
FreeBSD is little bit slower since it is optimized for multi CPUs and much better hardware. Simply FreeBSD just need little bit more RAM to run optimally. Can you really notice the difference. Probably if you really want to notice them but otherwise are insignificant.
You are more likely then not to be penalized in speed for using AMD64 because most
desktop applications are coded for 32 bit OS. That said, I personally do run AMD64 OpenBSD on this very workstation from which I am writing you the letter because
I have 2 cores and 3 Gb of RAM.

Now if I was running MySQL on server with 8 cores and 16Gb of RAM my hunch would be that FreeBSD would significantly out preform at least OpenBSD.