View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th November 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
Code:
I'm looking at getting a MicroATX form factor case and motherboard to meet the space requirements more easily.
Check Intel Q35.

This one will work only at Linux and Windows, no drivers for Solaris nor FreeBSD. If you want working binary blobs for all OSes you mentione, then you need nVidia card.

Dual core is more then enought, get some Intel E8xxx series.

Better get VelociRaptor SATA2 10.000RPM + 1TB for storage.

You can (and prolably will) have problems with these at FreeBSD and Solaris, propably also at Linux.

Onboard Intel HDA is more then enought.

Get 800MHz 4-4-4-12 for best results.

Intel Q35 will fir there without any problem.
Onboard audio is what I use now on Linux/FreeBSD (my sound card has no Linux drivers), so I guess I'd be okay with that.
The Unix variants have poor support for wireless peripherals then?
What nVidia card would you suggest?

Thanks for the other recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
After all that money you want to spend you want to put only 2GB of RAM
You are crating bottle neck. Even we poor OpenBSD guys have more ram than that
I've been running Windows XP, the newest version of Ubuntu Linux, and FreeBSD-i386 pretty well on only 256MB of RAM. I've had this computer for four years now (although I've only been using Linux about 10 months and FreeBSD about 2 months and regularly switch between the three systems).

Quote:
If you are planning on running FreeBSD amd64 (you were talking about
quads and core 2 duos) I would get between 4-8 GB of RAM.
Quads are so cheap now that I would not think twice to get quad core processor. On new egg where I shop (much better than Tiger direct in my opinion) today's least price for Quad core is $179 that is probably only $60 more than Core 2 Duo. I would put 8 GB or RAM with Quad.
How is power consumption of a core2quad compared with that of a core2duo?
That's also a factor I should consider.

Quote:
If I am spending all that money I would not use cra**y board since that is the most important component. You probably need to spend well over $100 for mother board if not $200.
I wasn't planning on getting a cheap motherboard.