View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th September 2016
More noise than signal

If the "backup" machine is intended to be a replacement for the primary gateway, it should have the same network provisioning. IPSec has more provisioning requirements than files located in /etc/isakmpd/.

Two possible differences you may have already considered, are IP addressing and PF configuration. Perhaps your "backup" machine is using the same IP address as the primary gateway. I would not know. Perhaps your "backup" machine is using the same PF configuration. I would not know.

Why wouldn't I know? Because you have not mentioned them. All I am able to understand about your problem is the information you decide to post.

As an example, I can only guess you are using one of the many ways to deploy IKEv1, since you mentioned /etc/isakmpd/, but at the moment that is all I know. "My tunnel didn't connect" is insufficient information for me to provide any real assistance.

I am not an IPSec expert. I have previously been an IPSec user, but am not a user now. When I used it, I deployed both IKEv1 and IKEv2. However, when I deployed IKEv1 I did not provision any files in /etc/isakmpd/, instead I used ipsecctl(8) and ipsec.conf(5).

Without knowing anything about your problem other than likely IKEv1 and your "tunnel didn't connect," all I can recommend is the following.
  1. Ensure your IP configuration is identical.
  2. Ensure your PF configuration is identical, and passing all IPSec related traffic, such as ESP and AH protocols as applicable, IKE key exchange traffic via UDP, and encapsulation traffic.
  3. Log isakmpd(8) messages with -v so you can determine which IKEv1 phase may be failing.