Thread: New Ranks!
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2008
Kienja

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardpl
I vote for my post count as it was on bsdforums.
Do you mean post count or rank system? If you truly mean post count, then you can forget it. We are not going to transfer post counts from BSDForums. If, however, you actually mean rank system, then that might be a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden
That is another possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro
I like the nexus one, where you can choose your own ranking.
'Tis another possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardpl
I really start to hate all of you admins, because I am again noob/New User.
Sorry. Just ignore all of the math in my post and you have everything that is important.

Quote:
post count might simply mean that you have a lot of questions that you're too lazy to research. So, I've never been too concerned about my post count anywhere.
Post count says nothing more than how diligent a user is in visiting and posting at the forums. Unfortunately, this is many times not how the ranks are interpreted.

Quote:
For example, on bsdforums, I had to laugh when a particular FreeBSD developer posted and was called a Newbie while I was some sort of kernel saunders or whatever it was called.
Choosing our own titles is certainly a possibility. The fact that user ranks misrepresented some people has always bothered me, but none of the ranking systems proposed would remedy this, save for scottro's (Choose our own titles).

In light of the exceedingly mixed response to the new ranks, I will post a poll to see what we should end up doing. I will leave it open for some time, just so we can get a good representation of users.