Thread: Beep Beep!
View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th March 2009
Arp Constable

the audio/yell program just opens /dev/speaker and writes stuff out to it; as far as I know the speaker(4) driver is for the PC's system beeper (which DrJ is missing). I'm not sure about audio/beep but the description sounds like the same thing.

Although I honestly don't know how you could stand that darn thing DrJ, I can only think of 2 ways to do what you want.

0. make programs use the sound system instead of the PCs speaker thing; for example setting stuff to call `mplayer sndbite.ogg` to emit the beep.

1. find out how the system interfaces with the speaker (I assume by reading the speaker drivers source code), and replace it with a compatible interface that instead invokes the sound card or sound system software (e.g. esd) in place of the PC hardware; that may have to be custom coded if no one else has made one publicly available, and I don't know of anyone who has.

my advice: if you want something like vi to beep, and don't feel like touching C code to work around it -- just stick in the hardware (I assume you could do it easily, circumstances permitting).

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.