View Single Post
Old 20th June 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgiorgio View Post
OpenBSD supports only the boot partition "hd0a :/ bsd"

in virtualbox or PC, the problem will be the same.
I have misunderstood your question. My apologies. OpenBSD will always boot from disklabel(8)'s "a" partition by definition.
Quote:
what is the OpenBSD MBR?
The Master Boot Record (MBR) is the first sector on the boot device recognized by the i386 BIOS. Once the BIOS has probed all peripherals of the system, it will transfer execution to the MBR which does minimal sanity checking to ensure that one MBR partition (The MBR supports four...) has been set as active before executing code to boot the operating system found in the active partition. There are a number of resources which describe the intricacies of the MBR throughout the Internet. One is the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record

Note that there is a difference between MBR partitions and partitions defined within disklabel(8). OpenBSD will be installed into a single MBR partition, & it will always boot from a kernel found in the disklabel(8)'s "a" partition.

OpenBSD can be configured to boot from a different hard drive, & this is configured in boot.conf(8) as previously discussed. You may find the discussion in the disklabel(8) manpage helpful as well.