View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th April 2010
New User

Default OpenBSD's X11 on an Acer Aspire netbook

Hello,

I recently bought an Aspire One 532h netbook [1] and I installed OpenBSD 4.6 (I actually downloaded the iso from a shady site, but I did pre-order 4.7, so please don't beat on me).

I currenty have a problem with X11. I was under the impression that it would be easy [2] but I currently cannot get it to work. The command startx fails with the messages:
Code:
(EE) intel(0): /dev/agpgart  is either not available, or no memory is available for allocation. Please enable agpgart
(EE) intel(0): AGP GART support is either not available or cannot be used. Make sure your kernel has agpgart support or has the agpgart module loaded
(EE) intel(0): Couldn't allocate video memory
This happens when the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf is not present, which from what I understand means that it's "auto config." If I try to let Xorg create a configuration file, it still fails with similar messages. I have tried to play with the file, inspiring myself from several examples [3,4,5].

Now, I would try to enable AGP GART, but it seems it's been in for a long time [6]. Please let me know what to do. Sorry if it's simple, but I am new to X11 and OpenBSD. I did try Ubuntu and the screen works just fine, but I'd rather check out OpenBSD.

Thanks in advance,
Tony

[1] us.acer.com/acer/productv.do?LanguageISOCtxParam=en&kcond61e.c2att1 01=72644&sp=page16e&ctx2.c2att1=25&link=ln438e&Cou ntryISOCtxParam=US&ctx1g.c2att92=843&ctx1.att21k=1 &CRC=1682517101#wrAjaxHistory=1

Last edited by vermaden; 19th April 2010 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Added [ code ] / [ file ] / [ cmd ] tags.