View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th October 2011
Tcpdump Spy

The article isn't 100% accurate, but it's "close enough".

Here's the thing that sort of bugs me about the whole thing.

Steve Job's death got enormous widespread attention, today is "Steve Jobs day", all newsprograms and newspapers were (and still are) full of it, there are TV-specials, and even the more serious newsprograms give attention to Steve Jobs. All possible good things are attributed to Steve Jobs and he seems to be presented as some sort of combined Jesus/Buddha/Zeus/Thor/Allah of all things related to computing.

By chance, Dennis Ritchie died just a week later, now, I don't want to start a "pissing contest" over who's contribution was greater, but I think all will agree that Ritchie's contributions to UNIX and C were very influential. Apple's OSX and iOS are based on UNIX, and Objective-C is, like the name suggests, based on C.
In any case, there was almost no coverage of Dennis Ritchie's death. No "Dennis Ritchie day", no TV specials, no newspaper coumns, etc...

The contrast is very striking ...

The media can do whatever it wants, but if you need more proof that the media presents a very warped and distorted image of the truth then I am at a los ...