View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th September 2011
More noise than signal

Hello and welcome.

First, I don't think an 802.3ad switch is needed for trunkproto failover, since only one link should normally ever be used at a time.

Second, there is a history of problems with trunk failover with specific NIC drivers due to recognizing states appropriately. From memory, ath(4) comes to mind, but I seem to recall additional drivers having similar problems, including one I was using at one time, perhaps vr(4) or dc(4). If you scan through the misc@ archives, you will see a history of informal problem reports with little discussion and the occasional driver patch, or a pointer to a driver patch on the tech@ archives.

Third, you seem to be using a VMWare NIC driver, vic(4). This may have a similar state recognition issue to some of the other "real" drivers, or other limitations of its vmxnet protocol.

Fourth, setting an interface "down" may not trigger a proper failover. Removing physical connections to force a link inactive may be a better test. If you are using them. With vic(4), there are no cables to pull, unfortunately.

----

All of this is just opinion, of course.