Thread: pf.conf help?
View Single Post
Old 23rd January 2018
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
I'll disagree, because there are known cases of ALL packets transiting commercial service providers being logged by state actors.
But does this logging is from the outside of VPN service or from the inside of them?
If it is from the outside and many connecting people are using that I think it would be not enough to be seen as ultimate proof/evidence for doing something. Maybe a clue, but not as 100% incriminating evidence.

m users has m (can be more if one user has more devices) connections -> VPN service -> n TCP connections

let n = 2000
and
m = 700

Without logs from the inside we don't know which output connection maps to which input connection.
There may be other clue and evidence. These connections can be less and less likely to look random over time somebody is using VPN. There may be some patterns when connecting to services. But in many cases still it is better than connecting directly.
And state-actors should, theoretically, only use their spying capabilities when it comes to national security, not the regular criminal cases. There are some doubts about that - in some cases there are some strange things suggesting intelligence agencies gave "tip" to police. But let's say that somebody is just torrenting occasionally some pirated movie, because for some reasons geoblocking is preventing him from buying license legally - this is not a case where police is going to put significant resource to track somebody.