View Single Post
Old 19th June 2008
Port Guard

Default Vista fixed

I installed GAG to a floppy disk. I disconnected all but the drive with the Vista and FreeBSD on it, and rebooted to the floppy. It recognized the 3 partitions on this drive and the two operating systems, but when I tried to boot Vista with it, it still reported corruption of Vista and asked me to do a repair. I did this (startup repair only) and the Vista returned. I can choose to boot now from the GAG on the floppy by choosing from the numbers 1, 2 or 3, or simply boot from the hard drive and choose F1 for FreeBSD or F3 for Vista. I don't know what F5 is for being that the other partition is only an inactive logical partition In any case, the dual boot works both ways. Of course I have to choose the boot drive via BIOS.

Is it normal for FreeBSD to take 75 seconds with code scrolling down the screen each time it boots? Is is normal for it not to actually kill the power when you shut it down? Why do I still have to choose option 2 to boot FreeBSD (disable ACPI)? When I choose option 1 (default) it continues to reboot (same as when I tried to install it via option 1).

I'm impressed by GAG, although it didn't actually fix the Vista problem. Are there any limitations on what you can do with GAG? Are there any pitfalls that can cause you grief if you try to use to automate the booting of 9 OS's on two SATA drives and 1 IDE drive that were originally installed with only one drive connected at a time?

Thanks again.