View Single Post
Old 13th July 2012
bsdstudent

Sir ocicat , can you plz be + here ? I'm gnome 2 , but because I had issues with 3 I avoided it lest our friend would face the same woe .. ok 'gnome-session' instead of 'startkde' :-)

Friend barti ,
I install OpenBSD .. I have my machine connected to a router so I choose bce0 & dhcp from the start .. yes to X (which is default) .. and no to xdm (default ) then I reboot.
Configuring PKG_PATH is a must to install packages easily .. so I edit ~/.profile adding a line
(in your case 5.1 stable)
Code:
 export PKG_PATH=ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/5.1/packages/i386/
you can preferably choose a closer mirror instead .. get the list from
ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/ftplist .

ifconfig -a gives you the network interfaces that you have :
my case is : bce0 and wpi0
When I've chosen bce0 .. a file was created in /etc which is : hostname.bce0 containing the word dhcp ..
you can create a similar file : hostname.wpi0 as a new interface .. et voila you have wireless connection as well ..
Quote:
Every operating system must give the user minimal abilities ( X and internet) .
Why openbsd doesn't ?
barti .. you got it hard because it's a first start like I did. Actually OpenBSD does that and much more.OpenBSD detected bce0 when his twin failed at this.It detected wpi0 and gem0 (ibook) and rum0 (dlink external adapter) and I never thought I could enjoy working on my old legacy hardware (ibook , imac & dell ) with full X working and a fully audited system.
barti , I -like yourself- fail sometimes to benefit from FAQs not because they lack something but because I do lack something (background knowledge,even terminology used in faqs , enough brain cells .. :-) ) .. so I keep trying and I stick to Daemonforums & likes & BSD folk ..
One thing that helped me avoid feeling bad when failing at tasks is having more than 1 disk or more than one machine to work on.You can install OpenBSD on a flash ..the idea is : never say die.
(Sorry ocicat if I went off-topic again. )

Last edited by daemonfowl; 13th July 2012 at 01:50 AM. Reason: mistake : hostname.bce0 and not hostname.wpi0 .. typo