View Single Post
Old 11th March 2011
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
I have tried many many systems, including FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, OpenSolaris (and recently OpenIndiana), MacOSX, Windows XP, Windows 7, ...
Sorry Vermaden I could not resist. I have to make a few comments

Quote:
From all of them I have chosen FreeBSD because it sucks less then all the others.

My thoughs on these systems:

Linux
- I do not even consider that mess as a solution, maybe Ubuntu to not watch under the hood and scream
But half of the FreeBSD userland consist of GNU software. Even worse the development of the userland is all but sized in FreeBSD. On the desktop neither platform has nothing to offer to a typical user. So unless you use ZFS and have no money to pay to Oracle I see no point of running FreeBSD.

Quote:
NetBSD
+ pkgin 'infrastructure'
+ XEN dom0
+ will have ZFS at some time
+ suspend/resume works better then on FreeBSD
- bad sound architecture (will be fixed in NetBSD 6.0)
- pkgsrc often break and packages are not available for everything
- no Opera for NetBSD (can be thru Linux compatibility)
- no virtualbox
- mature XEN domU
XEN is getting outdated on NetBSD. pkgsrc is a bit overrated.NetBSD looked dead 2-3 years ago no so anymore. They have a bunch of interesting projects but community is tiny. I like the fact that finally they are pursuing their own agenda and could care less what other people think about them (just like OpenBSD). I would love to see Hammer working on NetBSD but even more so CUDA or Open64 compiler. On the desktop front the decision to stick with XFree86 has been devastating. Modular XOrg is still not a part of the base install.

Quote:
OpenBSD
+ suspend/resume works better then on FreeBSD
- too basic services management (no /etc/rc.d and /usr/local/etc/rc.d)
- no virtualbox
- no Opera
- small amount of packages
- sometimes VERY OLD packages
You really like virtualization don't you? I am running Opera on OpenBSD what are you talking about Joking aside it would be very nice to have native Opera for OpenBSD. Small amount of packages for OpenBSD is a myth. OpenBSD has for practical purposes more packages than FreeBSD with the major difference. They are rock stable on OpenBSD. What bothers me with OpenBSD is the slow progress with PPC, OpenCVS, and up to the point OpenSMTPd. I would like to see Hammer ported to OpenBSD. DTrace would be very, very nice but knowing Larry I doubt that

Quote:
FreeBSD
+ virtualbox
+ native Opera
+ mature ZFS
+ a lot of packages and working ports infrastructure
- suspend/resume does not work
The least interesting platform for me at the moment. If not for Solaris technologies like ZFS and DTrace it looks like NetBSD three years ago.

Quote:
OpenSolaris/OpenIndiana
+ latest ZFS
+ Zones
+ virtualbox
+ Comstar (iSCSI)
+ nice wireless/wifi setup in console with dladm (better then wpa_supplicant)
- no native Opera
- almost no packages at all even with additional repositories
- very slow and memory hungry
- no as clean/ordered as BSDs (check output of mount without arguments and various bin directories spread across the filesystem)
The major problem with OpenSolaris and OpenIndiana is that they are dead

Quote:
Mac OSX
+ nice GUI but after using it a while You still find same 'inconsistencies' as in GNOME/KDE
+ virtualbox (and many others)
+ native Opera
+ nice *.app 'format' for applications
- everything that is not an 'official' is pretty hard to setup (wine)
- no real filesystem for serious storage (like ZFS)
- SICK keyboard shortcuts/layout!
- often limited to Apple hardware but You can also setup a hackintosh on PC
Lack of PF and a decent file system is the biggest problem. It would also be nice to have centralized configuration scripts like /etc/rc.con.local. Apple should pay 10 billion dollars to a guy who invented keyboards on ThinkPad to work for them. I could easily imagine using OS X full time on the desktop.

Quote:
Windows XP/Windows 7
+ virtualbox (and others)
+ native Opera
+ wine not needed
- no real filesystem for serious storage (like ZFS)
- not very CLI/scripting friendly (but possible thru *.bat|*.cmd)
Not really useful for anything serious (I am talking about desktop) due to the lack of any native scripting languages and utilities (sorry Cygwin just doesn't cut it). It is amazing and very scary at the same time to see how much MS-DOS has outgrow its original intent. People who use MS-DOS on servers and those who encourage them should be jailed.

Last edited by Oko; 11th March 2011 at 06:09 AM.