View Single Post
Old 25th December 2008
Arp Constable

Heh, there are still people with FreeBSD 4.x boxes running around :-)

In my humble opinion, if you don't know which to choose and the machine is for personal use, you should probably run the latest Release (e.g. 7.0-Release) and use freebsd-update to install updates as they come along; including going to new releases (e.g. 7.1-Release) later on, when they become avail. (I personally wait a few weeks~months)

the best way I know to describe it -> Release is what makes it to the ISOs, Stable is a copy of Release, but it gets some new changes that *usually* don't break stuff, but didn't make it into release; both receive security updates and errata. Current is the bleeding edge of development, the latest code as of when you pulled it from the mirror, be it the best or the worst commit ever published. There is also a legacy production (6.4) and a production release (7.0), the most interesting changes will find their way into a production release, and a legacy release will change less often.

Personally, my server runs OpenBSD releases, my laptop runs FreeBSD stable.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.