View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th December 2009
./dev/null

Default VMWare Workstation 7 with OpenBSD 4.6 i386 guest - Part 3

This next part is kind of sort of optional but i do like to do it if i am really trying to keep the VM apart from everything else.

By selecting the VM and clicking "settings" again, we will select the Options tab from the top of the window, here will will adjust a few things to our liking.

There is an option named "VMWare Kernel Paravirtualiztion" under the "Processors" this has been known to help make some instances MUCH smoother, i have had success with this in some cases. Some posts reports only 32bit operating systems are to benefit, please give this a try, it it does NOT work it will crash right away, if it does boot, you may be in for quite a performance boost.

First ensure that "folder sharing" is DISABLED, i would like to note that with my XPPro VM i ENABLE this as i have VM Tools installed and do alot of copy pasting into and from the VM.

Under Snapshots, you have a couple of options as to wether you would like to take a snapshot when you are powering off, this is handy if you forget to take one, or do NOT use the next section Autoprotect. With the Autoprotect, you can have it automatically create a restore point for you, i DO NOT use this and do this manually, there is a button available on menu.

This feature CAN be helpful if you are doing alot of configuation changes, it is up to you if you find useful or not, i personally just take a snapshot when i am happy with a stage of configuration, you can revert to different levels of configs.

The next section is Guest Isolation, here i ensure to UNCHECK "enable copy and paste" and also "enable drag and drop", if you would like to know about VMCI read up, i DO NOT use VMCI.

You can select to encrypt your installation files, if you feel safer or have a reason feel free, i have not noticed any significant performance difference with an encrypted install (this is WITHOUT VMTools installed for this example of OpenBSD VM guest). This may or may not be different with a Windoz guest, i do not know the answer to that one.

You can choose to use Remote Display (if networking is installed) simply a VNC connection to the VM, this to my knowledge is NOT encrypted, use wisely, i DO NOT USE IT, SSH and MS remote desktop client (over SSH) is what i prefer.

Under the Advanced section, there is an option to "disable memory page trimming" i select this, below is a write up from the help file, this is also quite optional and a personal choice, RAM is cheap and is good for everybody;

Quote:
Workstation checks which part of the guest OS virtual memory is not used and allocates it back to the host OS. This permits to have more concurrent virtual machines running but everytime the guest OS asks back for its memory it suffers a performance degradation.

So, if you have enough free RAM for all planned concurrent VMs, be sure to disable memory trimming for guest OSes adding the following line to the virtual machine configuration (.vmx) file:

MemTrimRate=0

Note: Memory trimming can be disabled through GUI since Workstation 6.0.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg encrypt.jpg (31.8 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg shared.jpg (39.1 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg isolation.jpg (33.6 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg mem-trim.jpg (42.5 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by There0; 27th December 2009 at 11:15 AM.