View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd September 2008
Arp Constable

I was in a similar boat myself some months ago. NFS is fairly simple to work out and the most detailed how-to documentation comes from the old System Managers Manual, under OpenBSD this is located in /usr/share/doc/smm/; FreeBSD should be the same.

To mount NFS shares on Windows, I use Microsoft (Windows) Services For UNIX, aka SFU. Once you have it installed, you can use start -> all programs -> windows services for unix -> services for unix administration; to configure the NFS client and server. The main thing you probably will need to do, is setup a mapping between Windows user accounts and the ones on the NFS server.

To actually mount the share, open a cmd.exe, window, Korn Shell, or C-Shell session, and use the mount utility:

Code:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

U:\Terry>mount vectra:/srv/nfs N:
N: is now successfully connected to vectra:/srv/nfs

The command completed successfully.

U:\Terry>dir /w N:\
 Volume in drive N has no label.
 Volume Serial Number is 0000-0013

Directory of N:\

[.]       [..]      [Backups] [Files]   [Terry]
               0 File(s)          5,632 bytes
               5 Dir(s)  24,717,033,472 bytes free

U:\Terry>

The SFU documentation (man mount) says to use the UNC \\ComputerName\SharedFolder\Resource path syntax, but it's full of it... The mount command requires the unix-stye host:share syntax to work correctly. Do not use Windows Explorer to manage the connection, use the mount/umount commands.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.