View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th May 2008
New User

Default Need Some Help Please

Need Some Help Please

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I found this Forum and Open BSD through a Ubuntu list.

Here's my question, although this is a very long story, I'll try to keep it short.

Like a lot of people, I started out on Windows (1999-2000), and I ended up using an I Mac G-5 with Tiger 10.4 OS on it too.

OK, I've had a hacker after me for FIVE YEARS, if you wanna know the whole story, you can write me a personal message, and I'll tell you the story.

Suffice it to say, that this hacker is really good at what he does, maybe a 9 or a 10, on a scale of 1 to 10.

He's killed off EIGHT of our Windows PC's, and one Mac (although it took him nine months to figure just how to hack a Mac though).

Then a friend convinced me to try Ubuntu OS 7.4, which I messed around with some, but then I heard last night, that Open BSD is the MOST SECURE Linux Operating System that one can install.

That it's harder to hack then Ubuntu OS, or even a MacIntosh.

All the Mac Fan boys brag that "Mac's CAN'T BE HACKED", but I have hard core proof that they CAN BE.

And I'm sure that all of you have heard of the 'Pwn to Own' hacking contest, in BC, a couple of months ago.

I'm a TOTAL newbie at Linux, and I'm fascinated with Ubuntu, but I know now that it's NOT as secure as Open BSD OS.

Is this all TRUE?

Secondly, I want to buy the best computer that I can buy to put Open BSD OS on, and I had thought of buying THIS computer that's manufactured with Ubuntu already on it:

http://system76.com/product_info.ph...&products_id=82

System 76 computers are MADE for Linux OS. Ingenious.

I've also thought of buying another Mac, cause they are built tough too, but if it was YOU, and your main computer needs were:

1. Listening to internet radio with it.

2. Burning music CD's with it.

3. Writing to several online forums like this one.

4. Browsing internet photos of the Southwest, where I used to live.

5. And goofing around at You Tube a lot.

These are the things that we do with a computer, will Open BSD OS do all of THIS?

We've spent upwards of $5000.00 fighting this hacker, and literally lost 8 COMPUTERS to him.

So, obviously, our MAIN NEED is SECURITY, that's what brings me to this list.

I really NEED your help.

I'm rather slow technically, and I'm a total newbie at Linux as I said, although I got down how to operate a Mac in about 9 months time.

So, if you write back to me, could you please not use technical computer language that I might NOT understand. Thank you.

Secondly, I found THIS book at Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-Open...=pd_sim_b_img_1

Do you think that a total Linux newbie might be able to understand it?

Thirdly, if YOU were going to buy a TOUGH computer, that's well made, and could handle a fight, and run Open BSD OS, what kind of computer would YOU buy?

Besides internet security, THIS might be the most important question that I have.

The Ubuntu folks say that Ubuntu is really secure too, but it was *they* who told me that Open BSD OS is the *MOST secure Linux OS* that is made!

I know that I've asked a lot of questions here, especially for a newbie, I hope not too many!

Thanks so much for your help! we really appreciate it!

Ozark Osage