View Single Post
Old 4th August 2008
New User

I had to help someone through a Java class once. I had never done it myself, and the pupil wasn't cut out to be a programmer -- she dropped CS shortly thereafter (yes, she was female, but it had nothing to do with her gender).

Anyway, I remember not feeling comfortable with the language. I was flipping back and forth through her textbook to do things that, while flipping, I had already figured out how to do in 3 or 4 other languages. It was quite frustrating (and exacerbated by the fact that she usually waited until the last minute for help, and was on the 2pm-2am college student schedule, while I was working a 7-5 job).

But since I generally form judgments about languages within the first hour or so's use of them or reading about them, Java failed my test. Maybe I didn't give it a fair shake, but I never used it or wanted to use it after that. Now that it has some worthy competition, I probably won't ever use it.

I have used some nice programs written in Java, though, and it can be reasonably fast. Obviously it fits someone's mental model, just not mine.