View Single Post
Old 6th December 2010
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by windependence View Post
Well I'm happy to report that some users are seeing my point. I am trying to be diplomatic and logical about the whole thing, and thankfully another *BSD user has joined me on the forum who will back me up from time to time. It's always more credible coming from more than one person.

Still I am appalled at what has happened to the general Linux community. Sunnz asked if they just install the GUI on the server. The answer is yes, they do the server install with the server distibution and then apt-get someting called ubuntu-desktop. I haven't personally used it so I don't know what it loads but it looks like a full blown GUI. If this was a desktop distro I wouldn't have been so shocked but this is Ubuntu's server edition, and they even state on their web site that not loading a GUI is for security. Looks like the more popular it gets, the worse people will abuse it.

-Tim
ubuntu-desktop is a metapackage that pulls the contents of the ubuntu liveCD (kubuntu-desktop pulls kubuntu (KDE), xubuntu-desktop pulls xubuntu (Xfce) and lubuntu-desktop pulls lubuntu (LXDE)). Essentially the guy installed the desktop edition on top of ubuntu-server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post
Actually, in that list of sticky links posted the other day, there was one excellent entry in the myths section. The myth, *BSD is better than (insert other system)

This is user opinion only.

Some people will put a GUI on a server.

When you call someone foolish, you've gone a long way towards closing their mind.

If they're inexperienced, give your reasons why you don't think it's best practice, and let it go. They can choose to listen to you or not. If you think they're foolish, well, you stated your opinion. If you come in saying, Only an idiot would put a GUI on a server, then, especially when you DON'T know what Ubuntu-desktop is, (nor do I--for all we know, it's a minimalistic GUI for certain possibly appropriate uses--probably not, but the important point here is that you're saying, "I don't know what it is, but it must be wrong."

It's possible, for example, that it's a home server for family files, that will double as a desktop and they need some sort of awkward hybrid. Just for example.

Judging from your posts here, however, I'm sure that you are giving intelligent, diplomatic arguments. Without looking at the thread, if I say, "You're doing it wrong," I'm doing exactly what I say not to do with the Ubuntu desktop thingie.
ubuntu-desktop pulls gnome.