Thread: 64 Bit
View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th June 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatux View Post
There are no official ATi drivers for FreeBSD. That said, the radeon does not support the r500 or r600 cards. The development version of the driver does have support for both of those, but who knows when it'll be released. The radeonhd driver is what I use now. It is rock-solid stable, has support for accelerated 2d, and both the r500 and r600 cards. If you don't need 3d, then the radeonhd would be fine. ATi has released documentations on both of the series, so development should be picking up now. If you absolutely need 3d with all the bells and whistle then use an Intel integrated solution as adamk mentioned. I even had Compiz-Fusion working on mine.
Actually, I would recommend any ATI/AMD product up to the x850. Or even the x1950 if the user is comfortable compiling from source. They are certainly more powerful than any of the integrated intel GPUs available today.

As for your statement that "the development version of the driver does have support for both of those"... That's not completely accurate. It has support for 2D + 3D for r500 cards, but 2D only for r600.

Adam