View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd January 2010
New User

Default ZTE MF626 USB modem support in umodem

Hare Kṛṣṇa.

This system is connected to the internet by a ZTE USB MF626 CDMA modem, which with the Microsoft Windows 7 driver and supporting connection management software works nicely on Microsoft Windows 7. I would like to connect this system while running OpenBSD.
I noted that there is some support for this device on some Linuxes, including Gentoo. Ubuntu, Debian and Slackware. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Slackware is the most UNIX-like of the Linuxes.

I am offering a request for direction in porting, with permission, a Slackware or other suitable MF626 USB modem driver into the umodem driver of OpenBSD. I have not written any C for some time and was looking forward to writing some nice ANSI C, perhaps with some assembly incorporated therin.

I will be contacting ZTE, who have an internet forum for discussion of such subjects as Linux driver support (and would accommodate presumably OpenBSD driver support). It is likely they would like such support as from an operating system as noble and sound as the OpenBSD operating system is.

I have read the documentation on umodem, ucom, ugen and usb (the man pages) but could not see from what my system identifies at boot that the modem is actually being recognised by the USB subsystem, or a way to communicate with it.
Below are the relevent USB dmesg strings from this system (an OpenBSD 4.6 MP system straight off the CD with no CVSes (for the implicit reason that this message has been written) :
….
umass1 at uhub0 port 4 configuration 1 interface 2 “ZTE, Incorporated ZTE CDMA Technologies MSM” rev 2.00/0.00
scbus2 at umass1: 2 targets, initiator 0 addr 3
sd1 at scbus2 targ 1 lun0:<ZTE, MMC Storage, 2.31> SCSI2 0/direct removeable
sd1: drive offline

….

My understanding is that the umass device has attached to it a SCSI device with 2 targets, one of which is recognised by the usb, or SCSI subsystem, as a SCSI2 mass storage device. The modem, which I presume is on the second target, is not detected.

I will need some help understanding how the usb subsystem will need to attach the second target to the SCSI bus driver as well, or if the umodem driver can talk to this device directly (I think the former is more likely).

I will read the source code of the umodem driver for some of the other USB modems it supports, for some of the understanding I'll need to perform a port or adaptation. Possibly, ZTE will supply me with the necessary data to write support for the umodem driver by understanding how the others are implemented and following suit.