View Single Post
Old 19th August 2011
More noise than signal

OOoooooh! Sepuku, I just found something I did not know, since I don't deal with FAT outside of USB sticks and phones and cameras.....

On that ExFAT wiki page, highlight mine:
Quote:
Note that the built-in Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 can mount and support FAT32 volumes larger than 32 GB, but cannot create a FAT32 volume larger than 32 GB.
I mislead you. Windows cannot create a large FAT32, you'll have to use either OpenBSD or Ubuntu.

On OpenBSD:

Step 1: create a new MBR on the drive. For ease of use, I would use fdisk -i sd0 to initialize the MBR sector. This creates a single large OpenBSD MBR partition in partition #3, of type #0xa6, as described in the fdisk(8) manpage. Then I would use the fdisk editor and change the partition type to FAT32, #0x0c with sdisk -e sd0 then the command e 3 to edit partition #3, and change the partition id to 0c.

Step 2: using disklabel(8) create the OpenBSd disklabel and the appropriate BSD partition.. Provide the BSD partition with the same sector range as the MBR partition, as described earlier in this thread.

Step 3: format the OpenBSD partition with newfs_msdos specifying FAT32. If the BSD partition were "a", and you wanted a volume label of "mydisk", you might use something like:

# newfs_msdos -F 32 -L mydisk sd0a

Last edited by jggimi; 19th August 2011 at 05:08 PM.