View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th June 2015
More noise than signal

I think Peter is unclear about the authority granted to a standard user, compared with the authority of the super user.

Peter, the wheel group is just like any other group -- used for filesystem access control -- except that it one of the two factors for root user authorization access with su(1).

Let's look at the specific file where wheel group access is defined: /etc/group. According to group(5), group memberships are defined here.

Groups are used to define access controls to filesystems. And, for su(1), membership in the wheel group is needed for root user access.

There are three layers of access control for any file, or any directory. user, group, and world. Let's look at one file, for example. /etc/group. Here's mine:
Code:
4 -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  1266 Jun 12 23:44 /etc/group
The "root wheel" tells me that the file is owned by the user root, and assigned to the group wheel.

The "-rw-r-r--" is the access granted to the user, to the assigned group, and to the world, which is all other users. The file is readable and writeable by the user root, readable by other users who are in the group wheel, and also readable by any other users on this system.

The root user is the superuser, and access to all files is granted to root regardless of ownership or group assignment.