View Single Post
Old 9th June 2008
Spam Deminer

I really like Slackware, but the package management really doesn't do much for me. Slackware as a whole aims for simplicity, and while the design does reflect this, the developers could easily implement a package management system similar to BSD Ports by using Slackbuilds. After all, Slackbuilds are used by developers to create packages and test them before including them in a release. I particularly like Slackbuilds, since you can specify optimizations in the actual script. Also, syncing isn't necessary either because you can just specify version and reexectue the script, which will result in a package of the newer version. I think it'd be the perfect system. I also think Slackware should move the base of the system to a rolling release system, much like FreeBSD, and allow users to sync and update their systems.