View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th May 2010
Tcpdump Spy

I assume your data is important to you, otherwise you would not RAID-5 it. I would recommend first making a complete backup of all three disks using dd_rescue (sysutils/dd_rescue), just in case you make things worse.
If you do not have three spare disks, try borrowing some. Or buying some from a store that allows returns and returning them after you're done.

Quote:
The system is currently running FreeBSD 7.3 release, but was running FreeBSD 8.0 release (that may in fact be part of my problems).
I'm not sure, if I look at the CVS logs I don't see a lot of change going on in the gvinum tool and kernel module.
You can try downloading the 8.0 livefs CD, boot from it, and see if you're able to mount your RAID-5 filesystem.

To check if there if *something* at /dev/gvinum/music you can use something like this (From one of my systems):

Code:
[~]# head -c `dc -e '1024 2 ^p'` /dev/mirror/datad | strings
/data
data
data
+%E|
7Qhn
V*+2
/dev/mirror/datad being mounted as /data. You can try increasing the number for head, UFS filesystems seem to start with a whole lot of nothing.