View Single Post
Old 2nd December 2009
not quite new user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
Well, best way to find out that is to hook up a voltage meter and check You can often see the voltages in the BIOS too, but I prefer a good ol' voltage meter (Yellow is 12V, Red is 5V, black is ground).
Eee! I don't know what I'm doing with that well enough, even though I have a meter - I'm afraid I'll stick the probes into the wrong place and either blow up the whole computer, or electrocute myself!

Quote:
Of course, this never hurts.
I'll do the bios update next then, maybe.

Quote:
MHDD is no magic tool. An error is an error. It's up to you to find the cause.

As a sidenote, the real problem are the top three lines (ata2: port not ready, ad4: device detached)...
MHDD didn't seem to be able to find the disk. It showed me 1, 3, and 5 as selections when I hit Shift-F3, with 1 being the CD/DVD, but 3 and 5 both gave an error (which I don't remember off the top of my head, but can recreate it later), and so did 2, 4, and 6, when I entered them. I did successfully boot of the SATA disk right after this, just to make sure it was still there.

After that, I went ahead and started memtest, and as of this morning, 12 hours later, there were no errors. I left it running anyway, and will see if there are still no errors this evening. If not, I'll call that done, and try to work with MHDD some more, or move onto something else, like the bios update.