View Single Post
Old 23rd August 2008
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Q2: Has that person ever heard of acronyms? If not, they should not be around computers in any way shape or forms.

Q1: Uh, maybe because people want to know what's going on, instead of just seeing some stupid graphic that hangs with no indication of what worked and what didn't?

What a waste of time that was. Remind me to never visit the Ubuntu Forums again.
Actually, I think more people like us ARE needed there. That's why I have been hanging there (in the server forum) for quite a while now. When I need my sanity back I come here.

I stay there precisely because there is tons of bad advice being given there and I wanted to try to balance it, and throw in some accurate information. I have actually had arguments over there over things that are widely accepted as fact. Sadly, Ubuntu is becoming like a religion to some, and the n00bs think they can instantly be web developers and admins, and then do things like run a professional web site on a dynamic DNS provider and argue with me that there is nothing wrong with that. Some days, it's really a challenge but I do it mainly to help people and keep my Linux skills up. I have 108 thank yous so far so I must be doing something right

Some of you know I had started a thread here on the striking changes in the Linux community. I don't think it's a good thing, and I see the same thing starting to happen in the BSDs. I don't think *BSD was intended for desktop use, at least not with a GUI. If you want to do it, yeah that's fine but it's *purpose* is to run servers (which it does VERY well). I dunno, when I come here and see n00bs asking if BSD supports their wireless card I have to think they just don't get it. </rant off>

-Tim