View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th February 2014
New User

Default OpenBSD as Mail server, can you check my configuration?

Hi,
first time I write here, so hello to all! :-)

Now the questions:
I'm configuring one OpenBSD machine as a mail server; the server needs to download the emails from a pop3 account, share the emails with 3 different accounts (in the same machine) and make the emails downloadable from other clients in the same lan.
I also want to make possible that the 3 users can send emails to each other from other computers using some alias without the need of external server and instead all the other emails to be sent to an external smtp server.
Here my configurations files:

1) I set up a cron job and use fetchmail to download new emails every 5 minutes, "manuel" is the account where the emails are stored, so I use a system crontab to make possible for the user manuel to store emails in his mbox.

cat /etc/crontab < ---
SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
#minute hour mday month wday user command
*/5 * * * * manuel /usr/local/bin/fetchmail
---

2) So the settings for fetchmail are (I'll keep the messages until I'll know all work, then I'll remove the "keep" keyword):

cat /home/manuel/.fetchmailrc < ---
poll pop.***.com proto POP3
user "***" with pass "***" is manuel here
keep
---

3) The messages are forwarded to the other 3 accounts, but "manuel" doesn't need to keep anything in his mbox (user[1-3] are 3 registered accounts on the machine):

cat /home/manuel/.forward < ---
user1, user2, user3
---

4) I use OpenSMTP as MTA.

cat /etc/mail/smtpd.conf < ---
listen on all
table aliases db:/etc/mail/aliases.db
accept from any for local alias <aliases> deliver to mbox
accept from any for any relay via smtp://smtp.***.com
---

5) I'll use popa3d for the retrieving of the emails from the other computers in the lan.

Is the configuration correct?
Thank you for your time & bye!
Manuel