View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st December 2010
Package Pilot

Whenever I do a standard dd and specify the size it does in fact match linux in speed or better. The only thing I can figure in this case (where no size is specified for each); I beleive that ARCH-LINUX must be bumping up the default size with-out the user knowledge when no size has been specified by user (running like a bat–out-of-hell with no size given is strange). This may prove that most of these bench-marks are un-fair. Some Linux distro's might be in-a-since cheating. Out the box, with FreeBSD we have to do our own configuration, there are no hand-holding (favors), as should be. I have seen FreeBSD using raw dd at 124M/s or better when a size is given, in ALL cases I only bs=1M. I never tried bigger before other than bs=4096 which I did not trust for some reason. I Never knew I could say bs=16M. Thanks Carpetsmoker for the information, I can't wait, I'm going to try it tonight. Don't get me wrong, to me Arch and Fedora are #1 Linux. Arch is like minimum and use a BSD init. Fedora running Gnome is like the best so far and don't take over your root like Ubuntu. PcBSD is the future as a desktop and FreeBSD as everything that will never change.

I put my money on the ARCH and Fedora be during users favors. That's great for common users but not for people like me. I dd all the time so I going to start recording all results for now on, but it really make no difference because FreeBSD excel in many more areas anyway. I just like to know if it can be done here also. For now I think this has been solved. I'll post a comparison list in the future for the record.

Thanks again