Thread: Firefox 4
View Single Post
Old 26th March 2011
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamk View Post
IEven without gallium3d, though, simply enabling KMS with an up-to-date version of the classic r600 drivers on Linux will provide OpenGL 2.1 support (vs 1.4, iirc, without KMS enabled) so, once again, the drivers are more capable on linux due to the presence of KMS.

Considering that you can get OpenGL 3.3 off a decent r600 card and the most recent specification is for OpenGL 4.1, I think caring about any of that is a tad out moded from a practical perspective. The Open Source world lags much to far behind on this.

I'm in favour of anything that makes life easier on developing graphics drivers that work stably and doesn't leave "Everyone else" in the dirt. That requires unix systems and linux to use a similar enough way of doing things. Maybe that's because of my believes, dunno.

I have never seen viable 3D support just *work* outside of Ubuntu+nVidia blobs with any of my hardware. And I can remember when compiling an OpenGL 1.1 program without pain on FreeBSD would have been, politeness.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.