View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th February 2016
Snoozing

Quote:
Originally Posted by danboid View Post
My Banana Pi has an integrated infrared receiver which is supported by NetBSD according to the wiki and dmesg although I have no idea how I might use it under NetBSD. I know the receiver and my remote work as I've had them working under (Arch) Linux.

Having searched the net, the only IR app I've found for NetBSD so far is lirc which is in pkgsrc but when I try to build it it says "lirc is not available for this platform".

All I want to do is to be able to trigger shell commands by pushing buttons on my remote control.

Hopefully someone here has some experience with IR under NetBSD, even if it isn't on an ARM platform?
IIRC, the LIRC app really just maps the codes for popular commercial remote controls like Sony, Phillips, etc. With those remotes, you do get the processor to key the codes for you, admittedly. I thought about all this myself, since one of my SoC based SBCs has an IR device onboard. I decided that it was easier for me to make a simple homemade IR remote, since then I could use all my own mappings on it.

All you need is a 38 KHz PWM generator board (~9$) feeding an IR transmitter board (also something like ~9$ on ebay, etc) and an arduino (there are canned programs for the latter). The boards are tiny, so the remote can be really small. even with the Arduino. In my case I was going to just use a SoC based computer on both ends. There's an article on ARM-Mbed that details a serial (8 data, 1 start, 1 stop, no handshake) type of IR link. With that - you don't need to worry about drivers (you have your own cross platform ready to go :-) ) Then, you can use the IR for quite a few more things, like an actual data link.

My SoC/SBC has an onboard IR driver for Linux. I'm not sure, but it could be closed source. So, on the receiving SoC/SBC end, I thought I'd use a separate IR RX board and a TTL/232 converter ($2 on ebay) to route it to serial. All of which defeats the purpose of your onboard IR, so disregard :-)

Last edited by rons; 19th February 2016 at 02:54 PM.