View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th February 2017
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by backrow View Post
I wish that on my desktop I had an operating system that prevents that. Alas, Unix is not yet up to the task (although you can approximate it a ton of manual work setting up extra users and aliases).
I am using that kind of isolation for web browsers (different user in OpenBSD, combination of different user and low Integrity Level in Windows), but they are exceptions.

If I download video file from Youtube (using youtube-dl) I want to watch them in mpv media player.
If I download code from GitHub (using git), I want to open files via Vim or Geany.
If I download PDF file (using web browser), I want to open it inside Evince.
and so on
not to mention copy-paste, drag and drop

While I was learning and making projects during my studies at University I was reading literally tens of PDFs or even hundreds just for single ones of them. If I would do think about permission of files every single time I must open a different PDF file, I would probably run out of time and finish University without degree.
My point is that these programs should be secure. They are relatively less complex that web browsers, so they can be more secure.

Last edited by e1-531g; 24th February 2017 at 02:08 PM.