Thread: Firefox 4
View Single Post
Old 26th March 2011
UNIX lover

>Also GEM does not replace TTM. TTM is newer, in fact.

Wrong, GEM will replace TTM. It's a 'versus' thing- you know, in terms of competition and TTM is from VMware and as 'old' as Gallium3D (Thungsten Graphics acquired from Vmware).

But read yourself, just for the records: TTM is older, GEM is Intel's answer to TTM (bloat in their opinion, it's their _alternative_ to TTM):

http://lwn.net/Articles/283793/

>Even without gallium3d, though, simply enabling KMS with an up-to-date version of the classic r600 drivers on Linux will provide OpenGL 2.1 support (vs 1.4, iirc, without KMS enabled) so, once again, the drivers are more capable on linux due to the presence of KMS.

Once again tell me facts not fiction!

Quote:
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R600 (RV620 95C2) 20090101 TCL
OpenGL version string: 1.5 Mesa 7.7.1
It's a Debian testing (maybe 2weeks behind bleeding edge) with kernel 2.6.38.1 ( I build my own kernels). I don't know which bleeding edge components you're using but I tried it in the mentioned Debian testing and a current Arch Linux with and without KMS ... no change. Yielding magic maybe?

>I know what they all are and I stand 100% behind my statements.

Even as they're wrong? Just one question: where the heck do you get your information? Phoronix maybe? That would explain something at least.

But apart from the graphics hogwash, there is at the moment no real disadvantage in using FreeBSD together with ATI (yeah, 2-3% performance in some applications).

As I said, there is a need for GEM and KMS and there is no need at all for TTM. We're talking of the (near) future, not a current state. Period.