View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th October 2011
Arp Constable

My word you're all useless lol (no offense), I'm a VIM user and I know this.

If you want to read a manual page in emacs, use M-x man and it will prompt you for the name of the man page. It will then open a window with the manual page all nicely formatted for you. If you use emacs a lot, avoid leaving it for crap like manual pages.

If you really want to pipe it *into* emacs without running it through emacs, you will need an external program to simulate the effect of `man ls > tmp-file && emacs tmp-file && rm tmp-file`, because emacs is not really a UNIX program and like the original vi, not entirely friendly to being piped a file on stdin. You can find solutions on emacs wiki or Google.

less generally presents a vi style interface for navigation, or at least it responds to my muscle memory. So if someone is asking to use emacs, probably not going to want /wtf searches. Sometimes I even use vim just for a better known target. I don't know how man -P emacs works on OpenBSD but my Linux work station doesn't work with it either.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.