View Single Post
Old 1st December 2010
BSD_ROCKS

Talking Thinkpad A22p, Thinkpad T23, Thinkpad R61

I have OpenBSD 5.0 i386running on
Thinkpad A22p (PIII 9oo Mhz, 512 MB RAM, 40GB HD).
Thinkpad T23 (PIII 1.13 Mhz, 1024 MB RAM, 30GB HD). On this laptop even suspend when
when lid is closed works and X is configured automatically. Everything works.
added:
Thinkpad R61 (Intel Core Duo 1.8 Mhz, 2GB RAM, 60GB HD) OpenBSD 5.0 amd64.
Everything works perfect. Just make sure download and install wpi-firmware package if
internal wpi wireless is installed.

This is so far the best OS I've used and I tried about most top 20 Linux
distros, Freebsd and PC-BSD.
OpenBSD rocks

Note: T23 with internal wireless is working nice going to suspend when lid is closed, but
A22p with external PC-CARD wireless wouldn't. So I did popped out the PC wireless card
and suspend just fine. I did not want to popping card in and out just to suspend, so
I figured out to leave the PC wireless card plugged in and just log off from the X back
to console/terminal and shut down wireless connection with "sudo ifconfig wi0 down"
(depend on the card it could be different then wi0 , like ath0 etc.)
Close the lid and suspend nicely. When wakes up after suspend I just issue
"sudo ifconfig wi0 up", followed with "sudo sh /etc/netstart" and wireless is on and
connected again. Go back to X with "startx".

I am really impressed with OpenBSD. It does everything I need. If I really want to watch something with flash, I just boot with one of the live Linux distros or jump on my wife's windows laptop.

Last edited by Mako_Elite; 27th February 2012 at 01:50 AM. Reason: adding Thinkpad T23, configuring suspend, 03/04/2011 adding Thinkpad R61