View Single Post
Old 10th February 2014
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
You are the kind of user that any of BSDs project could use more off. BSDs crave for users like you and do not need any of Linux is better than Windows crowd.
In Poland at that time when I've got these PC [in 2001], Internet connection was situated to 'kid user' at luxury level
So I spend lot of time in local Library reading many books and articles about the computer related stuff, especially I focused on Richard Stevens TCP/IP Protokoły tom 1, [Protocols vol. 1], translated and published in Poland in 1998 [the second edition was done by Helion in 2013], these book become one of the first real deal publications that I have read from the first to the last page, the next one with which I done the same was published in 1999 Programowanie w środowisku systemu UNIX, Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment, also written by Stevens.
It is really sad that Such a great Mind has passed away...

NetBSD was the OS that helped me understand the basic ideas that were stated in late 50'. of the XX century by the MIT professor Fernando José Corbató, whose Compatible Time Sharing System [CTSS] was the first ever that shears the ideas of modern interactive computing. There is even an proverb that says:
Before Corby: No Timesharing.
After Corby: Timesharing.

Naturally the C language was the main difference between Corby's Multics project and Thompson/Ritchie Unix idea, that was implemented to the OS internals, mainly to write the kernel using high level language.

By the way, Jolitz, William F. and Jolitz, Lynne Greer: Porting UNIX to the 386: A Practical Approach, 18-part series in Dr. Dobbs Journal, January 1991 - July 1992 - these is a great story, about how the basic system works, especially do to the xBSD family tree.

Salute To You!
Greetings,
Marcin

Last edited by muflon; 10th February 2014 at 10:14 PM.