View Single Post
Old 21st June 2008
ISO Quartermaster

The latest KVM's, on boxes with the virtualization built into the processor, also do 64 bit and SMP--actually, more CPUs than VMware server. VMware server does have the ease of use thing, especially with bridged networking.

There is, by the way, a bounty out for VMware on FreeBSD and Orlando, the fellow who did the VMware 3 port, has taken it up, so there's hope that you'll get your VMware on FreeBSD one of these days.

I do find VMware rather resource intensive. I don't like the direction that they seem to be going with their 2.0 beta, though I guess it's aimed at a very powerful server running several VMs. Rather than give you the console of the machine by default, it gives you a web management interface.

I don't want to post misinformation, and my memory is hazy on this, but I think (and maybe someone can confirm this or correct it if it's wrong) that the 2.0 beta puts in its own version of java, and uses up port 80 (by default, which can be changed.) Not realizing this, I messed up a test installation of nagios, which could no longer use port 80 because VMware had it. In contrast, nagios and cacti can play nicely together, both using port 80.