View Single Post
Old 17th August 2012
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonfowl View Post
Maybe you'd consider replacing fluxbox...
As backrow has already politely pointed out, you managed to entirely ignore application size in your argument. I will add that you have also ignored the impact of dependent applications and libraries on capacity.

If you wish to be helpful, take the advice I've given multiple times in this thread, and install the OS and your desired applications on a spare disk drive or USB device. From that you will see how much capacity is consumed and you may be able to make a rational, reasoned argument for one solution over another. Otherwise, please stop posting your suggestions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by backrow View Post
Firefox and Libreoffice are the pigs here.
So is the OS.
Quote:
Unfortunately, I can’t think of anything as full‐featured that doesn’t take up more space. You could replace Libreoffice with siag and Firefox with NetSurf, but most people wouldn’t find that useful.
Agreed.
Quote:
There’s no getting around it: this stuff doesn’t fit on CDs anymore. There’s no making these packages any smaller, so you’ll have to sacrifice features.
Or yet again publish versions with different application mixes. And that may be what I end up doing. There are systems with CD drives, there are also 1GB (or smaller) sticks. I don't want to exclude their use.

Last edited by jggimi; 17th August 2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: typos, clarity