Thread: Marketing
View Single Post
Old 19th July 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomie View Post
Specifically, this site needs to get way, way up on the list of search engine results for "bsd forum", et al, in order to attract new traffic.

Please let us know how we can help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ai-danno View Post
I think the one angle that's not been considered (or perhaps I've missed it) is Google searches based on actual content (forum posts that address specific issues of interest to someone searching), instead of Google searches based on terms like "bsd" and "forums".

The way to enhance this is to generate and submit a sitemap to Google.
I have been an ama-chewer web builder for years.
Disregarding payments to Google or being a country:

As regards sitemap it informs googlebot what to index.Throw a sitemap (plain text from memory) in your website directory and googlebot reads that.
Googlebot can work this out on it's own without sitemap. It does what spiders on the web do - they follow links.

The major advantage of sitemap is that can direct googlebot to areas of a site that may not be linked to any other part of the web (probably rare).
For sites that are hard for googlebot to find (limited links from external sites) or hard for googlebot to index (not many internal links joining a site together) sitemap may be the only way to get accurately and regularly indexed.
It is not intended to help change a rank.
It only ensures Google knows what pages exist and where to find them. Googlebot looks for a sitemap and crawls from that rather from links alone.

There is an expectation of a slight advantage in speed on being included in the index (nothing do do with ranking - only being on the start line).
Google claims to give preference to webs that have sitemaps.
It creates confidence that new pages will be indexed as soon as Google gets around to it .

Besides indexing pages, sitemaps tell googlebot when to come back again and re-index.
So instead of being indexed in a month it might take a week (or a month). Still expect to be result 8675 out of 10,000. For any site that seriously considers that an issue (i.e., a new site looking to be indexed, Google have a submission form - no sitemap necessary).
Nevertheless, as with sitemaps, Google will do it when they do it.
Their engine is proprietary and any metrics are looking at the output of a very complex (indexing the intarweb) black box.
This is a discussion in itself - how to measure Google.

None of this is an issue with a site that will have 10,000 links going every which way and then changing regularly. You have already far exceeded any usefulness of sitemap. Furthermore, because of the vast size of the web (vast I tell's ya) I really doubt Google has the required number of trained spiders to visit here regularly enough to keep up with the posts anyway ...
Besides that, you try and write a sitemap for the pages you have already ...

ai-danno is correct regarding CONTENT. Google at least has for a long time been basing it's rankings and results based on content (and links). Meta-tags are largely (last time I checked) ignored by SE's.
This is your number one (numero uno) tactic in the war for SE domination (FTW).
In pwain engrish, the words on your page(s) should correlate with the words people use when they search. If it sounds simple, it is.
There are, however, a few tricks.
Google (and others) use a few items to determine the relevance of your page to a particular search.

The title.
Yes. The title tag.
<title>DaemonForums - BSD forum</title> will already go a long way to that first spot.
Use a H1 tag. Make it the same as your title.
<H1>DaemonForums - BSD forum</H1>
It may look ugly. Perhaps you can find some way of making it less ugly.
Ignore it at your peril.
Text. Repeat the title (and H1) again somewhere in the text.
You appear to have done this (almost) already with your welcome:
"DaemonForums - the premier help resource for BSD".
These three things together are your best weapon in the über elite pit sport that is SE ranking ...

Just as important as making them the same is making them relevant. Relevant to the searches you want to win (there are no prizes for second place - except in the olympics, oh and motor racing, oh and ...). Win I tell's ya.
In other words, pick where you want to be found and use it.

Do this for all your searches you want to pwn. How?
Have a relevant title for the various forums. For instance:
http://daemonforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=9
<title>FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading - DaemonForums</title>
Welcome: FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading
Excellent. Add a H1 tag and you are ahead by a country mile (not to be confused with a city mile).

It ought to be clear (it is to me) that you are already doing the most important thing you can do to make your pages relevant to searches.
Do it a little better and you will go where few others dare.
For instance, at the FreeBSD install page:
http://daemonforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10
FreeBSD Security - DaemonForums
Add the word secure. You have security and securing.
I guess many people might search "secure FreeBSD".
However, as it is mainly user driven content, there becomes a point where adding more text is annoying to the users.
Yes, that does mean that the text in a page does have some value. Even if it does not occur in the title or H1.

Personally, I would think you have done plenty. Considering that because of the large number of pages being generated and the different words used, Google will at some point index you for cancer cure.
Everything else is from linking.

There is a lot more to it. That is the main stuff.

BTW. Your initial content is what Google shows when you appear on a result.
Your description and keyword tags are of zero use. There may be some engines around that still use them ...

Best wishes.