View Single Post
Old 9th November 2016
Arp Constable

Quote:
You are using something as an inner router, if your diagram is still sufficiently accurate. Perhaps you are using a commercial router, or perhaps this is a general purpose computer with two NICs.
I am using a Linksys wrt54g V8.0. The screenshots I'm referencing are the "Basic SetUp" and "Status-Router".

http://www.pcwintech.com/screenshots...nksys-firmware

This customer review seems to be from someone with networking knowledge:

Quote:
By S. Tillman on December 30, 2015
Verified Purchase
This review is for the Netis DL4201 ADSL2+ modem router. This is a small low power device and has a surprising number of features and capabilities for the price.

Included in the box is a AC/DC power supply, ADSL splitter, telephone and network cable. The device has three connections: RJ-11 for DSL, RJ-45 Ethernet (link speed is 100Mbps), and power.

Power is 5 volts and uses a 2.5mm x 5.5mm barrel connector. It comes with a AC/DC adapter (800mA, 100-240V, 50/60Hz). Because it's 5v and low power it can be powered from a USB port on nearby computer using a USB to 2.5mm barrel cable: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UVH9I5A (Startech calls this a type "N").

To use it with CenturyLink....

DHCP:
On setup menu / WAN tab, at bottom of page, select and delete existing config if any. Then in upper section of the same page, enter new configuration settings (VPI=0, VCI=32, Encapsulation=VCMux, ChannelMode=PPPoA [[PPPoE seems to work too, but may depend on location with CenturyLink]] ). Click "add". Most users will want to plug the Ethernet port into a network switch (I like the Trendnet GREENnet switches), or it can be connected directly to the network port on a computer.

Bridged:
For my application I used it in bridged mode connected to the WAN interface of a pfsense firewall. Configuration settings: VPI=0, VCI=32, Encapsulation=LLC, ChannelMode=1483 Bridged. On pfsense, I set the MTU to 1492 though I'm not sure if that's absolutely necessary.

It supports many features (to name a few):
- IPv4 and IPv6
- configurable firewall with many options
- control over NAT passthrough
- NTP client (for WAN side) and server (for LAN side)
- DDNS (NO-IP, TZO, PHDNS, DynDNS)

It came with firmware version 2.1.1 which is the latest as of Jan/2016. New firmware is available on the Netis website and can be programmed if needed, but it hasn't changed since May/2013.

Overall it worked good for what I wanted: a low power DSL modem.

Last edited by shep; 9th November 2016 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Added linksys