View Single Post
Old 15th July 2009
Spam Deminer

1) Solaris uses XSun exclusively for Sparc hardware. They've stated that X support will be provided via XOrg in all future releases of Solaris and OpenSolaris on the x86/x64 platforms. One thing to note here is that we're talking about Sun here. I'm willing to bet that the version of XOrg in any Solaris operating system coming straight from Sun will be different than the mainstream version because Sun will make it better as it has Gnome and a few other open source technologies before actually integrating them into the operating system.

2) The alternative is not using Windows. It's using OpenSolaris. Seriously, Solaris is ahead of any other Unix/Unix-like system out there. The strives that OpenSolaris has made in the past three years is a testament to that. On top of that, it has more commercial support. I just tested it a few days ago and I was rather happy to see how painlessly it worked. And I had all the software that I need at my disposal.