View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th August 2013
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonfowl View Post
I don't have a ~/login.conf and /etc/login.conf is still virgin .. should I set memoryuse capability in ~/login.conf or /etc/login.conf per user ??
It appears you misunderstand the purpose of login.conf. It is used to govern authentication methods and resource allowance, and therefore is only centrally managed. The OS does not give individual users the right to determine their own authentication methods and resource access.

Authentication and resource are assigned by CLASS. Classes are defined in /etc/login.conf, and assigned in /etc/master.passwd. The login.conf delivered with OpenBSD defines these classes: default, daemon, staff, authpf, and bgpd. You may revise these classes or define your own.

--

On OpenBSD/i386, memory mapping has a limited address space per process. As ocicat pointed out, your physical memory (RAM) does not have anything to do with process memory mapping -- process memory allocation is virtual.

On i386, the staff class resources are defined as follows:
Code:
staff:\
    :datasize-cur=512M:\
    :datasize-max=infinity:\
    :maxproc-max=512:\
    :maxproc-cur=128:\
In this case, "infinity" is not infinite. It is 2GB, if I recall correctly. Larger memory mapping is only possible in other architectures, such as sparc64 and amd64.

You may check your limits, or alter them (up to the appropriate class values in login.conf) via an internal shell command. The internal shell commands are different, depending on your shell. To check limits on Bourne shells, use $ ulimit -a and on C shells use % limit -- you will find instructions on how to use the limit and ulimit commands in the appropriate shell man page.

Last edited by jggimi; 4th August 2013 at 03:06 AM. Reason: clarity