View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th June 2008
Arp Constable

I do not consider myself to have learned Unix System Administration as you put it, because there will always be much more for me to learn.

I began my time with FreeBSD when I chose it as the foundation for studying deeper into computers, after reading this document I knew it was going to be a Unix like ;-)

Programming, system administration, web development, mathematics, software engineering, computer science, and system design all interest me so it's a bit of a natural fit.

My initial research for using FreeBSD was the handbook and Wikipedia until I was able to make heads or tails of the systems manual pages.

One day when we stopped at the local library, they had a book sale going. On one of the shelves were three old LPIC prep course books from SmartCerify Direct: "Linux Fundamentals", "Linux Administration", and "Linux Networking", dated copyright 1998-2000 and dealing with Linux 2.2.x

First time I actually found a decent computer related book that didn't fit into the category of "Learn to use MS FooApp X.Y" -- I can do that in 10-20 minutes.

Read them and my systems manual pages and gained a bit more understanding of things closer to the system, although I have never and still don't actively use GNU/Linux on a regular basis !

Then after I got a new desktop for multibooting, I setup the old test machine and started to play: PC-BSD, NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD; ssh only access, samba, cups, lpd, sshfs, pf, nfs, mysql, apache, etc. That machine currently runs OpenBSD and functions as a file server with a database & http services tacked on for there usefulness in testing code.

Given enough time, strength, and energy I can learn just about anything I set out to learn.

One thing I like about this forum, is it's a chance to evaluate input from people more seasoned in things I am not ;-).

Never worked in 'computers' so to speak, although if they treated me better then my current employment and the pay check made the bills, I'd sleep in a server room if asked lol.

I use computers predominately because I love to, programming and caring for them is just the icing on the cake.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.