View Single Post
Old 1st June 2008
ISO Quartermaster

If you have ImageMagick installed, my own feeling is that the easiest way to do it is to use the import command. One assumes that you want these screenshots viewable by others, and this way, they can view it in any image viewer. Actually, it's easier for me to type convert screen.jpg than to type xwd -out screen.xwd and then type xwud -in screen.xwd. Maybe because I'm left-handed.

I use fluxbox and have keyboard shortcuts to move windows around. If I want a screen shot, I usually move the xterm to the very bottom or top of the screen so that only that one line where I'll type the command is showing, then type my import command. This way, I get most of the screen without the terminal in the middle.

If you don't have ImageMagick installed, then as was said, xwd and xwud are probably the best way.

This thread is probably a perfect illustration of the comment that in Unix, there's always more than one way to do something and someone is sure to think your way is wrong.

The advantage of import over xwcd, in my opinion, is that you can choose the format of the image as you create it. As I usually take screenshots for a reason, often to share with people using Windows or Mac, this saves a step for me.