Thread: Unix Popularity
View Single Post
Old 19th October 2013
Port Guard

Quite right Ocicat, I'm a newcomer and picking up on old threads. What interests me in this discussion is that many of us get quite emotional about it. I think that's because most of the people who use *NIX have a very distinct and/or founded rationale to do so. People who use Windows use it because err, that's the program you use when you use a computer, right? What else should I do? Or maybe because their employer uses Windows, like mine. People who use OSX might have a bit more reason, like working in a graphical sector or being "fashionista's". People who use Linux might do so because they like to tweak stuff. Maybe *BSD the is the hardcore scene?

Don't get me wrong, regardless of my own personal perference, I don't want to put one above the other. It's purely user dependant.

My very personal reasons for using (Open)BSD? I want to be free (in every sense of the word) in what I want to do with my computer. I want security, privacy and functionality. With Windows I don't feel I get any of them at an acceptable level. With Linux, I'm fine, with OpenBSD much more. For example, if i want to use NFS, just RTFM and you're OK. if I want to do it with Windows, just pay more to get the Enterprise edition. Err WTF???

As a matter of fact, today, I updated 2 W8 PC's to W8.1 for the ol' folks. What grabbed my attention is that it almost REQUIRES and INSISTS (yes capitals) you to sign up for a Microsoft account (and invade my privacy) only if you are very clever, persistant and jump through a few loopholes, you manage to install w8.1 without having to sign up. My personal opinion is that that is so so so fundamentally wrong. I have already paid for a licence to use your software (which is wrong in the first place), leave me alone now!! But they don't.That's what puts me off very very very much about all (yes all) the commercial products out there. I very strongly am against my privacy being the product. I have a profound grudge against companies (or governements whatever) making money on violating my privacy. And that's not or much less the case when you use GPL/BSD. Depending on which variant and how wisely you use it.

Anyway, now I'm becoming all emotional about it myself, but that's what I mean with most of us here having a very valid reason why to use UNIX *BSD. I'm not here because I don't know any better. (err do I )

But back on topic. I don't think the *BSD userbase is big, far below 1% of all desktops, and you know what? I like it! It's just used enough to get support and certainly not big enough to be of interest for writing malware for it. By the time the Linux community has to deal with viruses (if that ever happens), we're still safe for some time.