View Single Post
Old 11th March 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
This is no longer true for OpenBSD 4.9, although personally, I don't like rc.d-style scripts.
You mean that now there are scripts for services that You can start/stop as in BSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
There are several thousands ports, I'd say that OpenBSD's ports tree is more up-to-date than NetBSD's pkgsrc.
For example fluxbox version is 5 years old now in OpenBSD's Ports: http://openports.se/x11/fluxbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Sorry Vermaden I could not resist. I have to make a few comments
Sure, I like to discuss

Quote:
But half of the FreeBSD userland consist of GNU software. Even worse the development of the userland is all but sized in FreeBSD. On the desktop neither platform has nothing to offer to a typical user.
I do not have a problem with GNU tools, I was mostly thinking about the Linux kernel, devices, /proc, /sys /whatever, HAL/udev, ALSA+PulseShit tandem, a lot more propably.

Quote:
So unless you use ZFS and have no money to pay to Oracle I see no point of running FreeBSD.
I did not understood that part ...

Quote:
XEN is getting outdated on NetBSD. pkgsrc is a bit overrated.NetBSD looked dead 2-3 years ago no so anymore. They have a bunch of interesting projects but community is tiny. I like the fact that finally they are pursuing their own agenda and could care less what other people think about them (just like OpenBSD). I would love to see Hammer working on NetBSD but even more so CUDA or Open64 compiler. On the desktop front the decision to stick with XFree86 has been devastating. Modular XOrg is still not a part of the base install.
They even 'advertise' them as 'hype free os' ... Yes they have their problems, as all OSes, I am waiting for 6.0 now to check how it went.

Quote:
You really like virtualization don't you?
I really can not live without it, test something, create cluster in virtualbox, test a new sollutions in the safe way (like ZFS root without UFS /boot on GPT/MBR), anything that can come into You mind, closed safely in virtualization sandbox.

Quote:
I am running Opera on OpenBSD what are you talking about
Linux or FreeBSD compatibility layer?

Quote:
Joking aside it would be very nice to have native Opera for OpenBSD. Small amount of packages for OpenBSD is a myth. OpenBSD has for practical purposes more packages than FreeBSD with the major difference. They are rock stable on OpenBSD. What bothers me with OpenBSD is the slow progress with PPC, OpenCVS, and up to the point OpenSMTPd. I would like to see Hammer ported to OpenBSD. DTrace would be very, very nice but knowing Larry I doubt that
I have heard about OpenSMTPd and I like the idea very much, like DragonflyBSD dropping sendmail and other 'big' stuff that should be in ports or changed to more modern/lean software (like postfix in NetBSD), FreeBSD still stagnates here.

Quote:
The least interesting platform for me at the moment. If not for Solaris technologies like ZFS and DTrace it looks like NetBSD three years ago.
Maybe there were too busy porting this ZFS/DTrace to write something 'on their own' in the meantime, I would say that they have added/fixed nice bunch of things:
http://freebsd.org/releases/8.2R/relnotes-detailed.html

Its also UFS + SUJ, many thing will be 'out' in 9.0 also:
http://ivoras.sharanet.org/freebsd/freebsd9.html

Quote:
The major problem with OpenSolaris and OpenIndiana is that they are dead
In a way unfortunately yes, time will show if oracle will release source code of soon to arrive Solaris 11 and how long after release, currently OpenIndiana can be a sort of CentOS for Solairs.

Quote:
Lack of PF and a decent file system is the biggest problem. It would also be nice to have centralized configuration scripts like /etc/rc.con.local. Apple should pay 10 billion dollars to a guy who invented keyboards on ThinkPad to work for them. I could easily imagine using OS X full time on the desktop.
Definitely, Dell Latitude and ThinkPad keyboards are my favorites, I actually worked on Macbook Pro for about a year at work, but with Dell PC Keyboard, even thou it was terrible 'keyboard experience', even after a year.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd