View Single Post
Old 29th February 2012
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonfowl View Post
* drop libreOffice in favour of light pair {gnumeric+abiword}
See my comments regarding LibreOffice compared with the Gnome tools earlier in this thread.
Quote:
* Include small but useful utilities like dictd client,gopher,snownews,mutt,transmission,xchm,xpdf
Both xpdf and mutt were just mentioned in my most recent posting, directly above. Regarding the other tools, please read this Q/A in my FAQ. If you want your own set of applications, please read OpenBSD FAQ 14.17.3. Follow that set of instructions to create your own "LiveUSB" with whatever you want. It will not be a read/only OS, however.
Quote:
* Include keyboard-aware window manager (ion or ratpoison) but set fvwm as default ..
I just mentioned cwm in my most recent posting, directly above.
Quote:
* of course those timeless bsdgames :-)
These have been part of my Basic image for years, since I began creating live media, as they are part of OpenBSD. The only fileset not included is comp*.tgz.
Quote:
* lynx+dillo definitely
Lynx is part of the base. I plan continue to provide FF as the only graphical browser. Regarding dillo, please see my comments about application requests I've already made in this reply.
Quote:
* xfe
I have no plans to add a graphical file manager at this time. I may, or may not elect to do so. Otherwise, please refer to my answers above in this post, regarding application suggestions.
Quote:
I've read avira linux version is installible on unixes ..
I will not port any applications to OpenBSD specifically for my live media images.
Quote:
...maybe clamav+updates is a possible alternative
See my comments on application suggestions, as above.
Quote:
(I'll be mad to ask you to include geany too .. lol .. it just came across my
mind as well .. )
As above. This is NOT to be all things to all people. (Or all things to our favorite devilish bird.)

The purpose has been rescue, hardware testing, and OS familiarity. What is intended, and will be new, is the option to have general office automation, travel without private data, shared filesystem on hard drive (USB stick) images, and some additional scripting. That's all.