View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2011
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilsgecko View Post
Well, what I was speaking about was spreading awareness about the systems. Like it or not, and regardless of OpenBSD being your preferred system, FreeBSD is in fact the flagship BSD project as it has the most support, etc etc.
Then the exam should be called FreeBSD associate exam (FBSDA) and you shuld honestly say that FBSDA supports only FreeBSD. It would be also good to remove any questions/references about OpenSSH, OpenBGPD, and PF. Make sure you use Groff instead of mandoc for reading man pages!

Well, like it or not, and regardless of FreeBSD being your preferred system, the fact is that FreeBSD is the least interesting of four BSDs projects. FreeBSD actually have not contributed anything to BSDs ecosystem probably since the times of 4.xxx when Matt Dillon forked DragonFly unless you count things like scrypt . And please, please stop bragging about ZFS and DTrace since if I need Solaris stuff I will use Solaris. Also when I need Linux I will use Linux and I do not need FreeBSD linux emulation layer nor GNU tools which dominate FreeBSD userland (you do not even have tar ).

Cheers,
Oko

P.S. By most support you must be thinking of Opera web-browser since I can not thing of anything relevant supported by commercial vendors on FreeBSD. No serious compiler to speak of (PortlandCC, Open64), no GPU/CUDA drivers, no Oracle, no Maple, no Mathematica, no MATLAB, no scanner drivers (epkowa), no drivers for all in one (Brother), no Adobe Flash, no Acrobat Reader, no Java, no Skype ...

Oh... I forgot, you do not even have major open source support like the one for TeX (no TeXLive on FreeBSD via official ports)

Last edited by Oko; 1st May 2011 at 10:06 PM.