View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2011
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
The concept of a single certification for multiple distinct projects is flawed, I know and use OpenBSD.. while I'm not ignorant of the other projects, I don't actively following their development nor maintain any such systems at home.

Not interesting in the least, it should not weigh in on an employers decision to hire someone.. it's their job to thoroughly interview potential employees.
Hello BSDfan666,

I don't agree but I don't hate you or anything. I think the base BSD Way of doing things is similar enough but that's just my opinion. After all, it's only a matter of reading through man pages or documentation to figure the way this BSD does things compared to that BSD. The changes aren't as drastic as they can be going from between two disparate Linux distributions for example.

I also think a variety of factors should go into the decision to hire someone not just a certification. This includes whether the hiring manager feels the candidate will work well with others for example.

Also, while you've already expressed your disinterest, I just thought others might like to know, that for the BSDP, I believe you can use whatever preferred BSD distribution you want to complete the live-lab objectives.
I think that's fair enough for people who primarily use this-or-that system.

Also, FreeBSD is not my preferred distribution. I think NetBSD is my preferred distribution. I also LOVE OpenBSD though and run a couple of machines on it. Depends on the task for me.